March 17, 2020
The North American Hockey League (NAHL) has announced that the current 2019-20 season, including the 2020 NAHL Robertson Cup Playoffs and Championship, have all been canceled due to the international medical emergency caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Statement from NAHL Commissioner Mark Frankenfeld:
“The NAHL and its Board of Governors did everything in our power to preserve a modified playoff and Robertson Cup Finals to ensure our players had every opportunity to compete for and win a Robertson Cup Championship. The latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendation of cancelling all events of 50 or more people during the next eight weeks made that reality impossible without dramatically disrupting the rest of our hockey calendar. All NAHL teams will move forward with their tryout camp schedule, which is currently outside the CDC window.
“We have had an incredible and memorable 2019-20 season up until this point, so this is a very sad day for everyone associated with the NAHL. We share that disappointment with all of our teams, parents, billet families, staff, sponsors, and fans. However, the biggest disappointment we have today is four our players. However, the safety of our hockey community, including all of our players, is our top priority and the decision to cancel the remainder of the season was necessary and in the best interest of everyone involved,” continued Frankenfeld.
In addition to the NAHL canceling the remainder of the season, the NAHL also announced that all 2020 NAHL Combines, the Prep Invitational in Chicago in late March, and the 18U Top Prospects Tournament in Blaine in May, have all been suspended. The NAHL is committed to rescheduling these events as soon as possible.
In the coming weeks, the NAHL will announce its 2019-20 season awards. The 2020 NAHL Draft is scheduled to take place online at nahl.com on Tuesday, June 2nd at 1pm (central) and can also been seen live on HockeyTV.
Cancelations & Closures
- The 2019-20 Player Awards Banquet, scheduled originally for Monday, March 30th, is canceled. Player awards will be announced online and via social media that week.
- The Jets’ business office, located in the Hayes Block building in downtown Janesville, is closed until Monday, April 6. All Business Operations personnel will work from home, and can be reached via their email addresses:
- Mason Lyttle (email@example.com)
- Shelton Tripp (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Kennedy McNeil (email@example.com)
- Mel Cushing (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Janesville Ice Arena has been closed until further notice. All Hockey Operations personnel will work from home, and can be reached via their email addresses:
- Corey Leivermann (email@example.com)
- Lennie Childs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Returns & Exchanges
- Any unused 2019-20 game tickets, dated or undated, will be tradeable for undated ticket vouchers for the 2020-21 season. Details and specifics on this trade-in will be released after the business office re-opens on Monday April 6.
- All 2020 Jets camps are currently expected to be held as scheduled. All questions regarding registration for camps should be directed to HC Corey Leivermann or AC Lennie Childs.